Compared to my last labor and delivery, I am very happy with how this one turned out. With Clay, I had a very easy labor and delivery, but I wasn't very happy with the way that it turned out. I was knocked out (because of an Ambien) for half of my labor, and then I was almost taken in for a c-section. At 7 pm, they told me that, and at 7:15 pm when they came to take me to the OR, I had gone from 2 cm (after being at 2 for almost 5 hours) to a 10 in 15 minutes. So I was able to deliver Clay vaginally. So I was glad for that because I wanted to be able to deliver Colt vaginally too, but I also knew that the possibility of a C-section was there because I had such a hard time dilating with Clay. But that isn't how it went at all. Thank goodness.
On Tuesday I went for my last doctor's appointment. She informed me that I was still 1/2 cm dilated and 25% effaced. She wanted to start labor on Thursday, but she wanted us to go in on Wednesday and be admitted so they could start Cervadil. Cervadil is a little device that they put inside of your cervix to help ripen and soften the cervix. Some people can go into labor on their own with this device, but most people don't. But it is a starting point before starting the Pitocin. So on Wednesday at 3 pm, we were at the hospital and taken to our labor & delivery room. I changed into my hospital gown and climbed in bed. At 3:15 pm, our nurse, Lori, hooked me up to the contraction and heartbeat monitor. After that we waited. L&D was very busy while on Wednesday and Thursday. At 4:42 pm, she came in and started my IV, but she didn't hook anything up to it just yet. She just wanted to go ahead and get the needle in so they could hook up the saline and stuff later on.
At 4:57 pm, Lori came in and put the Cervadil in my cervix to start trying to soften it. I figured that it would hurt, but it didn't. Thank goodness. But after so long of being in there (it has to stay in for 12 hours), it did start getting uncomfortable. And having to go to the bathroom and hold my gown, my monitors and cords, and make sure that thing doesn't fall out was definitely a chore. But I managed with much help from Robbie. At 6:00 pm since I hadn't started having any contractions from the Cervadil, they went ahead and let us order dinner. So I ordered a cheeseburger, fries, and a chocolate chip cookie. And for hospital food, it was actually really good!
At around 2:40 am on Thursday, I woke up, and I was having some pretty good contractions, but nothing too close together, and nothing like "real" labor contractions. But I still couldn't get back to sleep, and I was very uncomfortable. I knew that once I started real labor, I would want to be well rested, so I woke up Robbie and had him call the nurse (Josey) for me. She came in at 3:05 am and gave me Stadal (and yes, I am probably spelling every name of every medicine wrong) for the pain and Finnagren to help with the nausea that the Stadal can cause. Then she mixed both of those together with some saline to keep it from burning when she put it in the vein (where she had the IV needle started). Immediately, I felt my face go numb, and I could barely talk to Robbie or her, and I fell asleep. But not for long. It started wearing off, and I was up at 4:50 am. Which was good, since they were about to come in and take the Cervadil out.
At 4:55 am, Josey came in and took the Cervadil out. She checked my cervix, and I was 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced. So at least the mild contractions that I was having during the night had done some sort of progress. So I was excited about that. It took me forever to get to 2 cm with Clay, so I was ecstatic that I was already there with Colt. At 5:15 am, Josey went ahead and hooked me up to the IV and had the saline started and put the pulse monitor on my finger. Since I had progressed so fast with Clay at the very end and went from 2-10 cm so quickly, Josey had suggested that we go ahead and get the epidural as soon as possible. Now originally, I had wanted to go completely natural with Colt, but then Robbie and I had a discussion Wednesday night while we were sitting there, and he told me that he didn't see why I felt the need to do that if they have medicine that can make it to where you don't have to be in pain. So after much talking with him, I decided against it. I wanted a comfortable labor and delivery, and so that is what I went with. So at 5:55 am, the anesthesiologist came in and started the epidural.
Since I had tested positive for Strep B, they started the ampicillen for that at 6:05 am. And then at 6:25 am, they put the cathider in since I couldn't get out of bed anymore to use the restroom. Finally at 6:30 am, they started the Pitocin. I was glad to finally get that started because I knew the sooner that started, the sooner that we could meet Colt! At 8:55 am, they turned the Pitocin up to help progress my contractions. At 10:55 am, I was still 2 cm and only 50% effaced. I was starting to get worried then because I didn't want a c-section to even be mentioned, and they had started the Pitocin a little over 4 hours before that. But that didn't matter. At 11:20 am, my doctor came in and broke my water. Now they did this with Clay, but it was before the epidural, and to me, that hurt worse than actually delivering Clay. So I was glad to already have my epidural when she did this. It just felt like another contraction. Just lots of pressure, but no pain. Thank goodnes! Finally at 1:55 pm, they checked me again, and I was 3 cm and 70% effaced. I was so glad to have some progress finally.
At 2:10 pm and 3:05 pm, they turned the Pitocin up again. My contractions were getting stronger, but they would be together and then they would spread out again. Then at 4:00 pm, they checked me again and I was 5 1/2 cm dilated and 80% effaced. We were getting there! Then around 4:40 pm, I told the nurse that I was starting to feel a lot of pressure. I told her that I wasn't sure that it was going to be much longer, and she said that she would check me again at 5 pm. But because she noticed the contractions getting closer together, she went ahead and started setting up our room for delivery. At about 4:55 pm, I told her that she better call the doctor because it was not going to be very long. She said that as soon as she checked me, she would call the doctor IF we were there. She walked out of the room to grab something, and I told Robbie that if she didn't call the doctor soon, Robbie would be delivering Colt. I knew without a doubt that I was ready to have this baby. She came back in the room with the baby scale, and then at 5 pm on the dot she checked me again. She checked me and said "Whatever you do, don't push. This baby is coming now!" Um duh. I told you that already lady. Luckily my doctor's office opens up onto L&D, so they were able to go and get her immediately. But with every contraction until she got there, I thought I would die. I had to breathe very deeply and keep myself from pushing, and that was hard.
The doctor got there, and at 5:07 pm I started pushing. After only SEVEN minutes of pushing, Colt Emerson was born!!! Robbie said that with the first push, he could see his head. That is how low he was and how ready he was to come out. He was born at 5:14 pm, and he weighed 7 lbs 7.4 oz and was 19 1/2" long!
He is breastfeeding so well, and I am in love with him! He is such a great addition to our family, and even though Clay still doesn't know what to think, I know that Clay loves him already!

0 comments:
Post a Comment